CARING | DRIVEN | DEDICATED
Joel completed his 5 year double degree in Bachelor of Health Science and Bachelor of Applied Science (Osteopathy) at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia.
Joel’s treatment style centres around two core Osteopathic principles:
• The body is a unit
• The body has self healing mechanisms, and the practitioners role is to aid in guiding the body towards health
To aid in healing, Joel considers how spinal discs, nerves, muscles, bones, tendons, ligaments, fascia, lymph, biomechanics, posture, and lifestyle components affect the injury. In a typical session with Joel, you can expect an examination, tailored treatment, and management advice suited to your lifestyle. A few of the treatment techniques Joel utilizes include: soft tissue massage, joint articulation, facial release, strain counter-strain, and muscle energy technique.
Since graduation Joel has pursued further education to fill knowledge gaps, and explore interest areas including:
• Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) related pain
• Managing pregnancy-related bio-mechanical pain
• Prevention of injury from improper gym technique
• Concussion management
• Kinesio Taping
Other components that have influenced Joel’s practice include:
• Working alongside physiotherapists, midwives, and other health professionals in multimodality clinics in Brisbane, Australia
• 7 years swim coaching; beginners and competitive swimmers of all ages
• Playing Volleyball and Australian Rules Football at representative levels
• University placement in India; working in a hospital setting in Goa, and observing knee surgical procedures in Mumbai
• Sports trainer roles that entailed assessment and management of acute sporting injuries
• Rehabilitation of personal injuries such as multiple stress fractures and a full PCL rupture
• Parents who instilled the importance of respect, empathy, and work ethic
• A continuing passion for health and fitness, in particular distance running
Joel cannot wait to continue to broaden his knowledge and experience by working in Calgary. Ask him how he wound up here… it’s a good story!